Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Saga of the Russian Bells

Saga of the Russian Bells
(Or “Ring Dem Bells!”)

from
“I Was There” Series




You might ask, “Martha, how did you just happen to be in Moscow on Easter and actually see the Easter Service (on TV) being conducted at 11:30 PM at the Cathedral Elokhovskaya with High Priest Alexis II officiating?”

My answer would take me back to 1960 when I was studying Russian with Vladimir Vorobey just for the heck of it. (Or was this actually God’s plan, woven subtly into my life for future use?)

Having been brought up in a strick ‘religious’ home, we were taught that the Russians were the bad guys - communists! But I learned that my teacher (in his 80’s) was a white Russian, an intellectual, who had to escape the country. And several class mates were Russian and very friendly people. One lady brought us fresh eggs!
Anyway, I had to drop the class as I could no longer fit into the seats, being 8+ months pregnant with another Vladimir (Arthur).

Skipping forward to July 1982, my husband and I joined the Peace Corps and our assignment was in Sierra Leone for 2 years. (Another saga). After arriving back in America, I was urged by friends to write about my African adventures, which was my thesis material at Sonoma State University, incidentally earning a BA and MA Degree in English.

While at SSU I needed some more credits and so took a course on Women’s Studies (of which I couldn’t have cared less). I was assigned to report on Russian women poets, so I asked Steve Watrous, a Russian History faculty member (and member of my church) for a reference. He steered me to a New York book supply house that dealt in Russian writers. I ordered HOPE:Selected Poetry by Lesya Ukrainka (1871-1913) and also THE SPACE AGE by Yuri Shkolenko as I am interested in science.
I was so impressed with Yuri’s knowledge of the space age that I wrote him a fan letter, telling him I at last understood black holes and other astronomical subjects. He wrote back and said the famous words...”If you are ever in Moscow, look me up.”

Moving ahead to l992, a friend of mine ‘happened’ to pick up a magazine she’d never looked at before, and saw an ad for an Healing Arts Trip to the Ukraine. “Martha. You’ve often mentioned wanting to go to Russia, so here’s an ad with the leader’s phone number. Good luck!”

Of course I followed up on the suggestion, Leader John come to interview me, and after I said I didn’t heal by laying on of hands but believed Bible Wisdom heals, he said, “Right on Martha! These Ukrainians haven’t seen or heard of a Bible for 75 years and need you!” He gave me his favorite crystal, his blessing, and I was included with other nontraditional healers..rolfers, firewalkers, a nurse or two and psychics.

My hostess in the Ukraine wanted to help me meet my pen pal in Moscow so she phoned him (in Russian), made train arrangements, and after teaching Bible for over 3 weeks, away I went on a Midnight Train Ride to Moscow! (Sounds like a title for a mystery story). Yuri met me at the station and took me into his home where wife Nina awaited. Yuri had an itinerary for our days together...Red Square, Bolshoi Ballet, various monasteries, Lenin’s tomb, shopping.

April 25th his family and I sat around the TV and watched the Midnight Easter Service at the Cathedral Elokhosvkaya with Alexis II officiating. I fortunately had my tape recorder and so took down the bells and chants of the service. Yuri said we couldn't get near the church for the crowds, and the TV was better to see anyway. The next day we visited the church and saw all the icons painted wall to ceiling with several saints lying in coffins near the altar. Could I have ever arranged this path to Russia by myself? I think not, and just praise God for giving me such a wonderful adventure. (More details are written up in the Ukraine/Moscow Saga.)

Note i: I found out later through the internet that Dr. Yuri Shkolenko is a famous author/philosopher whose works are published in the USSR and abroad.

Note ii: Cassette tape on hand to hear Russian bells and some chanting on Easter 1992 in Moscow

No comments: